Sometimes, you can do things over and over again without really realizing the end results. The Daniel’s Fast is something I have participated in for 5 years now and this will be the first time I actually share this online – or with anyone outside of my family.
You probably never realized this, but aside from my first post of 2013 (yesterday), I have NEVER posted anything in January or the beginning of the year. The reason for this has mainly been because of a sacred tradition I have with my church family to fast for 21 days in January of every year. This is not the only time a Christian (or person of any religion) may fast, but it is a time my Pastor usually schedules to start the year in prayer for the future of our congregation and nation.
What is Fasting? – Abstain from all or some kinds of food or drink, esp. as a religious observance.
Religious observances are not the only occasion for which people fast. A person may fast due to a political stance, or also for health reasons (at the direction of a physician).
There are many reasons why people fast.
- [Religious] Fasting is used universally in several religions as a means to focus on spiritual goals.
- [Religious] Fasting, usually combined with prayer, meditation, or other types of worship are tools believed to bring you closer to God.
- [Health / Scientific] Interesting article by Michael Mosley (BBC News) this past August on how fasting intermittently could be very beneficial.
- [Health / Scientific] Another article on ScienceDaily.com from May 2012 on how fasting can actually override the harmful effects of a high-fat diet. This means you can use fasting to reverse the cholesterol damage you are doing now!
- [Political] There have been several recorded fasting events in which practitioners were fighting for specific rights in their political arena. Mahatma Ghandi was known to practice fasting for both self purification and political mobilization.
We are not the only church who have this tradition and maybe you even have been part of this.
If you would like to follow along with me as I complete the Daniel’s Fast this month, subscribe so you can get the latest posts with recipes and information. You may be looking for spiritual guidance or you may just be trying to lose some holiday weight by eating healthier. Whatever your reason, I’m glad to share my experience with you for this 21 day fast.
The fast will be from January 6th thru the 26th. I look forward to sharing throughout this journey.
Not fasting? Here’s an interesting slideshow from WebMd.com I recently viewed on Eating Healthier this New Year.